Emergency Login

Fire Hazards Associated With Holiday Decorations

fire hazards associated with holiday decorations

As we enter into the holiday season it is important to be aware of the fire hazards that can be caused by some of your most loved decorations. The holiday season is a time of joy, but it is also a time when fire damage to homes becomes more prevalent. The increase in fire damage during the holiday season can be easily associated with the holiday decorations – trees, string lights, candles, and more can all become fire hazards if you do not take the right precautionary actions. By understanding and being aware of these hazards around the holidays, you have an opportunity to ease the risk of a fire in your home.

Lights, Electronics and Inflatables Safety Guide

Did you know that during the holiday season around 86% of Americans decorate their homes with string lights, blow-up decorations, and more? Did you also know that about 60% of those same people will use more than one extension cord? That is dangerous. You should never overload an extension cord. This becomes a major fire risk. 

Here are some quick electrical safety tips:

  • Don’t overload your extension cord.
  • Be sure to check your string lights for signs of damage, such as fraying or chew marks, especially if they are old. If you spot this type of damage, it is safest to replace the entire setup.
  • Never run electrical cords under carpets or rugs.

Holiday Tree Safety Tips

Artificial Trees

  • Look for the “fire-resistant” label on the box.
  • Do not use electrical ornaments or lights if the tree is metallic.
  • Keep your tree at least 3 feet away from any heat sources, such as space heaters or fireplaces.

Live Trees

  • Check for freshness before cutting down or purchasing your live tree. You want the limbs to be green and healthy.
  • Cut 1-2 inches off the base of the trunk before placing the tree in its stand in your home.
  • Remember to water the tree daily.

Candle Safety Tips

Lit candles account for nearly half the house fires reported during the holidays. You can minimize this risk by:

  • Avoid using lit candles if possible. Use a battery-powered model instead.
  • Never leave a lit candle unattended.
  • Always place candles on a stable, non-flammable surface.
  • Keep your candles at least three feet from flammable objects, such as curtains or other decorations.
  • Always extinguish your candle before going to bed or leaving your house.

If you find yourself in trouble, don’t hesitate to call Restoration 1

We want you to have the happiest and safest holiday season, but if you do find yourself in need of fire damage restoration, don’t hesitate to give us a call. Our IICRC certified restoration experts are available for you 24/7 to ensure we get your home back to its pre-damaged state in no time.

Skip to content